Saturday, January 14, 2012

Preparation and Organization Are Key

When it comes to preparation, I'm usually the last person to look to for any sort of organization. When I clean anything other than the kitchen my mind forgets to categorize where I've placed things and thus they are labeled lost. I grew up with both of my parents threatening to throw away all of my toys if I didn't clean my room. It got to a point after so many years, they began to ignore it. I would just close my door.

It wasn't that my room was filthy with garbage and other things that would make a real life Monsters Inc. There was the rare occasion I had what my mother cutely labeled as 'science projects.' But nothing more than a glass I'd forgotten to take to the kitchen. For the most part my room was an organized mess. In a messy room, I knew where everything was. I knew if someone had been in my room or if they had taken something. I had enough room to walk from the door to my bed, to my dresser or to my bookshelf.

Now that I'm old, the clutter seems to irritate me a lot more. I can completely understand and relate to my mother's plight with me to clean my room. Of course my room to this day is still relatively messy and unorganized, but my kitchen is never messy longer than 24 hours. I've tried cleaning as I'm going in the kitchen but I never mastered that skill. I am getting better at it though. In my kitchen I know where everything is, what drawer you need to go to find skewers or where exactly the garlic press in located.

My counters are clean and sanitized before and after I handle food, especially meats. The reasoning for this is because I don't want to have people end up being sick because of improper handling of food. Especially my six year old. Though I'm eighty-five percent sure this child is immune to most things, diseases, girl cooties, listening, kryptonite, so on and so forth.

However I am prepared when it comes to him, as well as I can be. When we go on trips I make sure he has snacks and something to occupy him while I'm driving. I make his appointments as needed and he reminds me everyday that he has school the next day, even when he doesn't. He helps me be a responsible parent. There is the rare day that neither of us know what is going on, those are usually very bad days.

What does this have to do with cooking and cosplay? Well food prep is the big on here. But for crafting cosplay, organization comes with making sure that you have everything where you find it, safely located so things don't get messed up, and that you have everything you need or at least a list of everything you will need. Doing this will make working leather, or handling expanding foam or even sewing that much easier.

In closing, even if you are OCD about tidiness, or just and organized mess like me, small things in your life need to be organized and prepared to avoid careless mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment