Sunday, January 8, 2012

Crafting A Staff

I've been working on my very first cosplay weapon. I 'm having a a blast crafting and carving everything. Running around the Stormpeaks, I fell in love with several of the styles from that area, namely the robes and one staff in particular.

Journeyed Staff 

I decided that while I was inspired by Kamui from Kamui Cosplay and her staves, that I wanted to take a swing into the world of creating stuff myself. After watching her tutorials over and over and over again, I finally decided that come the holidays after I've hoarded all the cash I was going to get that I was going to get my supplies. And so I did.

The first thing I needed to do was get a template that I was going to use as a guide for my staff. Once I had it drawn on a piece of paper, I transferred it to a larger sturdier piece of cardboard. Cut it out and attached it to my staff. Which as it turned out was the handle of a broken swiffer sweeper.
Journeyed Staff

The template

Foam and foam and foam

Carve down to shape

Add more foam
Adding attachments via hot glue

More foam and more carving




 This isn't a tutorial on how to craft weapons. I use Kamui's website for all of my tutorials. Make sure you hit the subtitles. She does amazing work. I hope to have this half finished soon and I will post more pictures up as I progress along.

Following the staff, I've also been working on a set of pauldrons as well. Same basic idea of a template then foam, carving etc... My pauldrons are based off of the Frostwoven Shoulders. 





I have since carved these down and will post more pictures eventually assuming I don't pitch them in the bin for not cooperating. Since I've carved them down, I've also removed the spikes. It's easier to work without the pieces that stick off when it comes to shaping. I will be reattaching them later with hot glue.

Along the same lines but with less foam, I am also going to attempt to make a set of the Flowing Valkyrion Robes which are also from the Stormpeaks line of quests.

So far there aren't any progress pictures because I want to obtain a sewing machine and a dressform. All of which are highly expensive but will be gotten at one point of another. I also don't want to make a set a robes now with my current size because that just means I will have to double my efforts to make sure it fits in time for Blizzcon. Being a novice to the sewing world, alterations would be difficult to say the least.

I have several more projects lined up to be crafted. Here are some plans. Along with these I will also be working on little messenger pouches with the Horde Emblem.
Sin'dorei jeweled headband
Cellophane Faery Wings

 This all being said, it's time for me to get back to carving and shaping of the staff and pauldrons. Keep a watch here for updates and more pictures as everything slowly comes together. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment