Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Importance of References

No this isn't a post about those people you list on a job application who have known you your whole life. This is a post about the importance of having at least ONE picture in your crafting area to make sure that your prop or weapon is accurate.

This was a lesson hard learned for me.

I'm looking at about 12 hours of work to redo my parts of my staff because I didn't have a reference picture printed out and within visual range. My own fault but it doesn't stop me from being grumpy about it.

As stated in a previous post I am making a Journeyed Staff. Which when you look at it, looks rounded until you go into a top down view of the staff and see that it's really a diamond. Not a square diamond either, but a parallelogram diamond. *huff* There was my first reference faux pas. Easy fix (kinda) add more foam, carve and shape. Took about 3 hours because I caught it early on.

My newest faux pas I discovered while I was staring at my character last night during my gaming session. Turns out where I had glue pieces on to the staff, to be foamed and carved, had to be removed and thus pulling off some of the foam I already had carved down. Feh!

So last night I pulled the pieces off and refoamed the parts of the staff that needed to be fixed. Today I be recarving everything down again and hopefully achieve the correct shape.

I will also be going to the library and printing out several different angles of my staff so that I can accurately craft it. We shall see. Once I have my staff reset, I will have another update.

No comments:

Post a Comment