Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Crystal Song Carrots

While I was doing my daily in Dalaran today, I thought to myself, what else can be done with crystal song carrots. The carrots I came up with and adapted from Wegman's turned out to be perfect!

Ingredients:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb carrots, peeled and cut on the bias (that means slanted)
1/4 tsp. thyme
3 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 c. no pulp orange juice
1/2 c. chicken stock (I use bouillon granules to 1 c. boiling water)
1/2 c. heavy cream (see below on substitute for this.)
2 tbsp butter, diced
3 green onion stalks, greens only, thinly sliced on the bias
1/2 tbsp parsley (fresh or dried)

Put olive oil in pan and heat on high for a few minutes, add carrots, thyme, vanilla, and chili powder. Salt to taste. Braise in pan for 5 minutes or until carrots become just slightly tender. Stir frequently.

Add orange juice, stock, and heavy cream. Bring to a boil for 12-15 minutes. This will cause the liquid to reduce into a syrup like consistency. Turn heat down to simmer and let cook until carrots are fork tender.

Remove from heat and add butter, green onion and parsley. Stir until butter is melted. Let cool for 5 minutes to allow the liquid-syrup to thicken more.

To make your own heavy cream:

2/3 c. whole milk
1/3 c. unsalted butter

Stir in pot over medium low heat until butter is melted. Add to dish.

I didn't have a solid pound of carrots, to make up for this I added some frozen. This did not affect the taste.

4 comments:

  1. 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut on the bias (that means slanted)

    Still don't understand.

    Also oj, chicken stock, heavy cream? What does this taste like orange gravy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bias means to not cut it straight up and down. Rather hold the knife at 45ยบ angle and slice. This is just a more presentable way to show off the food, I don't really think it makes that much of a difference.

      As for the cream, it wasn't thick enough to be a gravy, it was more like a rich syrup. I was able to taste all the flavors from the vanilla, to the chili pepper to the orange juice. It was a very sweet but also savory flavor.

      Delete
  2. Props on Wegmans, my favorite grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. The nearest one is an hour away, but totally worth the long drive for such quality food.

      Delete